Saturday, January 1, 2011

Kommited To 2011

New Year Resolutions for 2011

Okay, so I googled "what is a New Years Resolution", and this is what I got:

A New Year resolution is a commitment that an individual makes to a personal goal, project, or the reforming of a habit. This lifestyle change is generally interpreted as advantageous. A New Years Resolution is generally a goal someone sets out to accomplish in the coming year. Some examples include resolutions to donate to the poor more often, to become more assertive, or to become more environmentally responsible.

There are religious parallels to this secular tradition. During Judaism's New Year, Rosh Hashanah, through the High Holidays and culminating in Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement), one is to reflect upon one's wrongdoings over the year and both seek and offer forgiveness. People may act similarly during the Christian fasting period of Lent, though the motive behind this holiday is more of sacrifice than of responsibility. The concept, regardless of creed, is to reflect upon self-improvement annually.

Success rate: Recent research shows that while 52% of participants in a resolution study were confident of success with their goals, only 12% actually achieved their goals. Men achieved their goal 22% more often when they engaged in goal setting, (a system where small measurable goals are being set; such as, a pound a week, instead of saying "lose weight"), while women succeeded 10% more when they made their goals public and got support from their friends.

I always set resolutions... Each year in fact, and not once have I ever stuck to one. Research shows that only 12% actually achieve them anyways. That is sick to me. People have no self discipline these days. Me included. This year however is going to be so different from any other for me. I am going to set ATTAINABLE goals, and reach every one of them. I will not "try", because to try leaves room for failure.

IN 2011 I WILL:

  1. I will not drink ANY soda in the year 2011
  2. I will work out on a regular basis (once my tailbone heals)
  3. I will lose a considerable amount of weight by diet and exercise (I am hoping for 50-65 lbs) (I am even going to blog about my progress on weight loss, and yes you will even be in the loop of current weight, and weight loss. SCARY)
  4. I will remain sober=)
  5. I will go through the temple

People rarely commit to something and stick with it. Well this time I am!!! I figure if I can overcome addiction, and place two babies for adoption, I can do anything! And I am going to prove it to myself!

My goal in one year (maybe a little longer is to get back to this, this time in a healthy way.)

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see you accomplish all your goals and see all your dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to do great Katie! I can't wait to see what 2011 holds for you! It is really going to be a great year I just know it! And you are beautiful just the way you are!

    ReplyDelete